Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 2009 15:54:12 -0600
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd2008@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Brian Duke <brian@box201.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup freebsd 6_2 to freebsd 7_1 not upgrading?

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:41:40AM -0700, Brian Duke wrote:

> #cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile /root/stand_sup
> #vi /root/stand_sup
> <<<host=CHANGE_ME.freebsd.org
> <<<tag=RELENG_6_2
>
> #cd /usr/src
> #cvsup -g -L2 /root/stand_sup
> #make -j4 buildworld; make -j4 buildkernel; make installkernel
>
> ... (come back a hour or so later)
> #make installworld; reboot

You should always reboot into the new kernel before running the install
world, especially if updating the major version.  I always boot into
single-user to do my install world, although a new kernel should work with
old userland.  Although this isn't your problem.  You should see the
kernel's version at boot time (and through uname(1)), so somehow you're not
installing the kernel.  I'd probably change your line to:

make -j4 buildworld buildkernel && make installkernel

or just:

make -j4 buildworld kernel && echo "success"

-- Rick C. Petty