Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:32:54 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        kstewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crontab question involving cvsup

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:48:19 -0700
kstewart <kstewart@owt.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 26 August 2004 01:15 pm, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 August 2004 02:28 am, kstewart <kstewart@owt.com>
> > wrote:

 <snip>

> > > cd /usr/ports
> > > #
> > > # make bzip2 backup and save 4 old ones for the days when make
> > > index# is broken
> > > #
> > > rm INDEX.3.bz2
> > > mv INDEX.2.bz2 INDEX.3.bz2
> > > mv INDEX.1.bz2 INDEX.2.bz2
> > > mv INDEX.0.bz2 INDEX.1.bz2
> > > bzip2 -c INDEX > INDEX.0.bz2
> > > #
> > > # get new INDEX
> > > #make index 2>&1 | tee /var/log/build/make-index-`date
> > > "+%Y%m%d-%H%M"`.log portindex 2>&1 | tee
> > > /var/log/build/make-index-`date "+%Y%m%d-%H%M"`.log #
> > > #fetch www.freebsd.org/ports/INDEX
> > > #chmod 644 INDEX
> > > portsdb -u

I'm using the same approach, although the script is different and (on
the "master" machine) it also parse the cvsup output for distinfo and
does a make fech and make checksum in the ports, plus saves the failed
fetch ports to retry to re-fetch them.

One thing you might want to add is -l flag to cvsup so if the cvsup
process fails (e.g. rejected by server: Access limit .. ) you don't end
up with 2 cvsup running in the same time.

[ ... ]

> The output from a cron job can be pretty verbose at times and it all
> ends up as an email. I typically run uports at 4am and 4pm. My cvsup
> mirror is updated on the odd hours. Until I started using portindex, I
> used a job that just did the cvsup section and created the html. I
> would fetch a local copy of INDEX and INDEX.db from my test machine.
> That way only one machine spent the time creating INDEX.
>
> At this point, the test machine is using xorg-* and I have dropped my
> normal machine back to using XFree86. So, I have to create INDEX on
> both machines. There is a situation when xorg and KDE loses track of
> what keyboard and layout you are using. KDE switched into using some
> form of Greek. At least the letters appear to be from the Greek
> alphabet :).

I usually find it better to build index on all machines, since they have
different ports installed and *_DEPENDS may differ largely; this make
portversion happy.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"