Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2019 14:27:51 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Subject:   Re: Eliminating IPv6 (?)

In message <CAPS9+SvvHLC-MBWpHXBf6utscLyrtPvdtbiekk2OA1y4asH0=3Dw@mail.gma=
il.com>
Andreas Nilsson <andrnils@gmail.com> wrote:

>But why are you even running rc.firewall if it does not do what you want?

You are asking me the very question that *I* have been asking myself
since my "upgrade" to 12.0.

Why is /etc/rc.firewall even being executed?  I never explicitly asked for
that, but that seems to just be a by-product of how things are arranged
these days.... a by-product that I have no direct control over.

>Just set firewall_script=3D"/path/to/script" and your good to go, no ipv6
>anywhere to be found.

That is *not* what the Handbook says.  Please read it.

  https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-ipf=
w.html

The way that I am reading section 30.4.1 is that it is telling the user to
put BOTH of these things into /etc/rc.conf:

      firewall_enable=3D"YES"
      firewall_type=3D"path-to-my-rules-file"

And indeed, that is -exactly- what I have done on my prior FreeBSD systems=
enable *and* configure.

One or the other of those /etc/rc.conf lines nowadays apparently triggers
/etc/rc.firewall to run.  I never explicitly asked for that to run, but
it did anyway.  I am just going with the flow.

Regards,
rfg