Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 12:38:07 +0100
From:      Alexander Maret <maret@atrada.de>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Amanda Problems

Hello,

I've got some problems with amanda here. I installed
Amanda on a machine, which will be backuped too.
Unfortunately on doing "amcheck <config>" the client( =master )
always times out. I did everything as described in the
INSTALL file:

inetd.conf:
===========
amanda  dgram   udp     wait    bin     /usr/local/libexec/amanda/amandad
amandad
login   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/rlogind    rlogind

hosts.allow:
============
ALL : localhost : allow

host.equiv
==========
localhost amanda

~/.rhosts = ~/.amandahosts
==========================
localhost       amanda

/etc/group
==========
operator:*:5:root,amanda
amanda:*:1002:

/etc/passwd
===========
amanda:*:1010:1002:Amanda Backup User:/home/amanda:/bin/sh

/dev/rda0a
==========
ll /dev/rda0a
crw-r-----  1 root  operator   13,   0 Jul 23 11:43 /dev/rda0a

amcheck -c <config>
Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
WARNING: localhost: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
Client check: 1 hosts checked in 30.031 seconds, 1 problems found.

(brought to you by Amanda 2.3.0)

rlogin works fine, but amanda doesn't seem to be able to logon.

FreeBSD-3.3-Stable, Amanda 2.3.0

Any ideas?

Alex