Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:33:42 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        OldFrog <OldFrog@palaver.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS/CVSup

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 06:43:11 CST, OldFrog wrote:

> One of the machines is running 3.2 and one is running 3.1  I would like to
> upgrade boths systems to the 3.4 STABLE version using CVSup.... is this
> possible?

It certainly should be.  Since both machines are already past the AOUT/ELF
transition, it should be relatively painless. :-)  Just pull down
RELENG_3 sources and do the usual.

> Secondly, I would like to upgrade the "ports" package data to reflect all
> the appropriate changes without actually loading the tarballs..  I realize
> that this would require that the system would have to ftp to a repository
> server to get the tarball if needed, but that is easier than finding space
> for the whole collection  . .. any suggestions??

Once you have 3.4-STABLE (which is what the RELENG_3 sources will give
you), check out the new pkg_version(1) utility.  You'll be pleasantly
surprised. :-)

> Also, please presume I am dirt ignorant about doing this sort of
> thing, the truth is probably MUCH worse than that...

You'll be fine.  :-)

> Also.. when I did the 'make install' on cvsup, I Iost a great deal of
> drive space that was there before.. is there a cleanup step that I
> missed?

If you mean that you lost a lot of space building cvsup from source with
the ports mechanism, you can reclaim a lot of that space by

	1) Removing the cvsup and modula distfiles from
	   /usr/ports/distfiles .  Modula is something required for
	   building (but not running) cvsup.

	2) Doing a ``make clean'' in /usr/ports/net/cvsup .

Ciao,
Sheldon.