Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 07:14:47 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        dg@root.com, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        bag@sinbin.demos.su, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q about 100Mb ether cards

>> been able to get it to work. The Pro/100B is well supported; it's what I'm
>> using in wcarchive and I haven't had any problems. It consumes about half
>> the CPU time that the de driver does and has about the same level of
>
>that's curious though, since both do DMA from/to mbufs. What CPU
>overhead are we talking about, 1% or 10% ?

On a P5/133 with a 21040 (driven by de0), total network overhead for
ttcp -t is 10-15%.  The idle overhead is about 11% (systat reports 6-7%
Sys and 3-4% Intr, and a process that doesn't do any memory accesses
slows down by about 11% when ttcp is running).  A process that does lots
of memory accesses slows down by 15%.

Bruce