Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:36:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Kott <dakott@alpha.delta.edu>
To:        Ada <acheng@mercator.math.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound DMA timed out error when using xanim and splay

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Ada wrote:

</snip>
> splay to play .mov, .wav, .mp2 file I get a
> sound DMA timed out IRQ/DRQ config error.  I seemed to be hearing bits
> and pieces of the .mov but I couldn't make out any of the sound from
> either the .wav or .mp2 file.

I experienced the exact same effect and the exact same message when I had
misconfigured the interrupt for my SB16 and attempted to play something.

> I have included the relevant part of my GENERIC file.  (the choice of
> IRQ and DRQ were taken from the Win95 setup.  I have a small partition
> of Win95 on my hard drive)
> controller      snd0
> # SoundBlaster DSP driver - for SB, SB Pro, SB16, PAS(emulating SB)
> device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 conflicts irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr

One device on IRQ 5......

> # MS Sound System (AD1848 Based Boards)
> device mss0 at isa? port 0x530 conflicts irq 5 drq 0 vector adintr

Annnnnnnddd yet another device on IRQ 5.. This looks highly suspicious.

I am not familiar with your hardware, however, I only specify one device
on a given IRQ.  How about removing the "device sb0" line, and leaving the
mss0 device configured? (if indeed you DO have this particular chipset on
your card.)

> # Yamaha OPL-2/OPL-3 FM - for SB, SB Pro, SB16, PAS  } This, by itself
> device opl0     at isa? port 0x388                   } looks ok.

> # MPU-401 - for MPU-401 standalone card
> device mpu0     at isa? port 0x330 conflicts irq 5

a THIRD device on IRQ 5?  If you are actually detecting a Sound Blaster, I
don't think that you have a "MPU-401" type "standalone" card.  Perhaps you
might also remove this config line?  (Or just try any of the three
"devices" you have listed one at a time.)

> I have also included the relevant part of dmesg:
> sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
> sb0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1>
> mss0 at 0x530 irq 5 drq 0 on isa

Detects a Sound Blast(ish) card, aaaaaaaaaaand the mss0?  Spooky.  Again,
I would recommend removing your mss0 specifier and try just the sb0
device alone.

> opl0 at 0x388 on isa                  } Looks like this got detected ok.
> opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>               } (wonder of wonders... ;-) )
> mpu0 at 0x330 irq 5 on isa
> mpu0: <MPU-401 MIDI Interface 0.0 >

                ^

Ditto for this guy.

I'm not much of an expert on configuring pesky devices;  thus far the
device support for my hardware has been just shy of flawless.
But, it really seems like you have redundantly allocated resources to
multiple sound cards;  of which, you only (appear) to have one.

								-d

Free the Source.  Free your Computer... http://www.FreeBSD.org
                                          http://www.NetBSD.org
                                            http://www.OpenBSD.org