Date:      Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:53:54 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Forwarding mail to another server

Pat Maddox wrote:
> My ISP (Bresnan) blocks outgoing traffic on port 25.  I'd like to make
> it so that the mail program automatically forwards requests to my
> ISP's mail server, instead of trying to directly send mail to the
> appropriate server.
>
> For example, if I did
> mail pergesu@gmail.com
>
> And sent a message, my machine would send that to mail.bresnan.net and
> have them pass it on.  Is it possible to do that?  If so, how?

I use the port mail/ssmtp for this purpose. This is a small program that
sends all mails via a relay server. After you have installed it you will
find some example configuration files in /usr/local/etc/ssmtp. Alter
also the entries in /etc/mail/mailer.conf to

sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/ssmtp
send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/ssmtp
mailq           /usr/local/sbin/ssmtp
newaliases      /usr/local/sbin/ssmtp