Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:49:04 +0200
From:      Henrik W Lund <henrik.w.lund@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Headaches from auto* and libtool...

Greetings, list!

I've been given headaches lately, and I believe the auto* brothers and
their buddy, libtool, to be the culprits. It all started when I
installed Anjuta, the C/C++ IDE for GNOME. What it basically does for
project management is use autoconf, automake and libtool to generate the
  familiar ./configure script and its like. Now, this all works well and
good up until the configure script is run. It will fail with the
following message:

checking whether ln -s works... yes
ltconfig: you must specify a host type if you use `--no-verify'
Try `ltconfig --help' for more information
configure: error: libtool configure failed

Now, the pickle is that I've got 4 versions of libtool installed, 3 of
which are registered in the package database. I've got libtool-1.3.4
(not in the package database), libtool-1.3.5_2 (from origin
devel/libtool13), libtool-1.4.3_3 (from origin devel/libtool14) and
libtool-1.5.6 (from origin devel/libtool15). And with two versions each
of both autoconf and automake installed, I'm suspecting that an
unfortunate mix of versions of the various programs is what's causing
this failure. I've googled around all day, and the error seems to be
fairly common, but I've yet to find a clear answer.

I'll tell you what I've tried: I've tried playing with symlinking
libtool and libtoolize to different versions of libtool (as the binaries
are named libtool13, libtool14, etc), to no avail. I've tried editing
./configure, removing the --no-verify flag, but this seems to always be
replaced somehow. I've tried different macros in configure.in for
autoconf, like AC_PROG_LIBTOOL and AC_CANONICAL_HOST, but still nothing.
I've even tried different values for HOST as an environment variable.

I know it's not Anjuta, because the IDE doesn't even need to be running
for the error to occur. Basically, I'm stumped. Can anyone here help me?
What's so special about these three programs that require numerous
versions of each installed on the same system? Or can I uninstall all
the older versions, keeping only the newest? Will this even do me any good?

Thanks in advance!

-Henrik W Lund