Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:31:15 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
Cc:        Dimitris Rizopoulos <drizo72@mycosmos.gr>, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error with libxklavier (xorg 6.9, gnome 2.12, freebsd 6.0)

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> Dimitris Rizopoulos wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have seen this reported before but if anyone has a solution, please
>> help!
>>
>> I start Gnome 2.12 on my FreeBSD 6.0 with the latest ports installed
>> and I get a window telling me:
>>
>> http://www.aphax.nl/images/xkb-gnome-error.png
>>
>> (I am attaching the same link, as I have exactly the same error window
>> as Hans Nieser)
>>
>> (It says error possible bug in libxklavier or xorg to cut a long story
>> short, if you have problems accessing the above link).
>>
>> Xorg is 6.9.0
>>
>> The gnome system has become extremely slow at times (mostly when
>> opening applications), and keyboard switching from english to greek
>> and vice versa does not work (as I suspected that it wouldn't).
>>
>> Any ideas? (I have updated my ports tree just the day before
>> yesterday, and it took me one day (yesterday) to rebuild gnome (2nd
>> time) to get the same unpleasant result...
>>
>> Please help.
>
> I'm seeing this error message too. This is the requested debug output
> from my system:
>
> % xprop -root | grep XKB
> _XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "us,el", ",",
> "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
> _XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "us", "",
> "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
> % gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd
>  layouts = [us,el]
>  model =
>  overrideSettings = false
>  options = []
>
> One relevant change in Xorg 6.9.0 is that they renamed the greek symbols
> file from "gr" to "el". Although reverting this in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols.dir and renaming
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/el to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/gr
> doesn't seem to make a difference. Even worse:
>
> % setxkbmap el
> Error loading new keyboard description
> % setxkbmap gr
> Error loading new keyboard description
>
> And the weirdest thing is that libxklavier doesn't seem to have any
> commits in their CVS repository for two years, even though the latest
> release is not that old.

OK, the important issue (typing in Greek) can be fixed by doing:

ln /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/gr /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/el

This is with the following xorg.conf entries:

Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier     "Keyboard0"
     Driver         "kbd"
     Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
     Option         "XkbLayout" "us,el"
     Option         "XkbVariant" ",extended"
     Option         "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection

As for the libxklavier warnings, there does seem to be some
incompatibility with the new Xorg, but from what I understood from
googling around, it is supposed to be fixed in Gnome 2.14.

Cheers,

Panagiotis