Date:      Fri, 23 May 2003 08:39:49 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Cagle, John (ISS-Houston)" <john.cagle@hp.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.1 PAE testing results: 2 panics

"Cagle, John (ISS-Houston)" wrote:
> I have gone as low as 10,000 for kern.maxvnodes, and it still
> Panics with "kmem_map too small".  How low should I go?
>
> I also built a kernel with KVA_PAGES set to 512 and it paniced
> the same way (without changing kern.maxvnodes).  When I also
> changed maxvnodes to 100,000, then the system hung instead of
> panicing...
>
> Anything else I can try?  Keep in mind I'm running SMP.  Should
> I try it with a UP kernel?

I posted where to hack the auto-tune stuff already; try it,
and let us know.  I'm convinced that you are getting the
"kmem_map too small" panic because, in fact, the kmem_map
is too small for the values you are trying to tune the
system to use, using the auto-tuning feature, since it sees
all the memory (per your posting of your dmesg).

-- Terry