Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2007 11:45:33 -0600
From:      Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs_20070303.patch on current

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 02:20:36PM +0200, Andrei Kolu wrote:
>> Thanks! So I have to enable ZFS from /boot/loader.conf with zfs_load="yes" or
>> how?
>
> Forgot to mention. Do not add 'zfs_load="YES"' to your
> /boot/loader.conf, because it tries to read some files before root file
> system is mounted, which will panic the system. I'll fix this at some
> point, but avoid loading zfs.ko too early for now.

Is there any hope for someday optionally using ZFS as a root filesystem?

I was sort of imagining a setup where /boot resided in a UFS filesystem
so it could hold the kernel/modules/regular booting info and -
/boot/loader.conf would specify 'zfs_load="YES"' along with another
directive to tell which zfs filesystem to use as root.

  	Barry