Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:29:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@worldbank.org>
To:        ortmann@sparc.isl.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Worldstone Continued...

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 ortmann@sparc.isl.net wrote:

> > OK - I got a lot out of our last discussion, and now my -current
> > world builds in 1:23 (!!).  This is WITHOUT softupdates, but using
> > async mounts...
>
> Were you the gentleman who posted about compiling in 6+/4+ hours?

Indeed - that was me.  My original post claimed ~6 to ~2.5 due to
softupdates.  The ~6 was heavily disputed, though, and I had to concede
that it may have been substantially less, like ~4.

> What were the main tricks to speeding your system up?

1.  I seperated /usr/src and /usr/obj onto two seperate physical disks.
2.  I uncommented the "CFLAGS= -O -pipe" line in /etc/make.conf (which
    really ought to be the default).
3.  I mounted both disks async (I thought some crashes/hangs I was having
    may have been related to softupdates).

Since then, I have gone back to softupdates (since I traced the problem to
something other than softupdates).  In fact, I don't believe I've had a
single softupdates related crash so far (* knock knock *).

I haven't reran the worldstone test yet, though.  I'm waiting for the
recent rash of -current problems to settle a bit.

> (I have been less impressed than I could have been using async,noatime.)

For speeding up writes, there's nothing like softupdates (if you're brave,
and the system is not for production use that is...).

> Thanks!

No problem.

Cheers!