Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:48:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2 amd question

> Sorry I think I wasnt clear enough on my question.
> I have a nfs client and I want it to mount /usr/local/bin from
> the nfs server. I will not write anything to the mounted location
> in the client. But I would like to have the other directories in
> the /usr/local after amd mounts /usr/local/bin too.

Amd's indirect maps cannot work like this because amd emulates the
directory in which its indirect maps reside.  Direct maps can.  If you
still want to use an indirect maps, you can tell amd to mount
/usr/local/bin from the remote server to something like
/stage/local_bin on your local machine, then make /usr/local/bin a
symlink to /stage/local_bin.

> Also I have another problem now. I have a map file in the client
> which works perfectly. I want to use the map file from a NIS server
> when I copy the map file to server and create the required database
> files, set the amd.conf to use nis in the client then run the amd in the
> client again. The client tries to mount the directory from itself not
> from the rhost defined in the amd map file which is in the nis server. But
> with the same file without nis. The client is able to mount the location
> from the right server. I couldnt quite find what I am doing wrong.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do here, but then again I
don't have a lot of experience integrating amd with NIS.  Maybe
somebody else on this list can help you with this one.

Hope this helps

dima

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> - Enriched/HTML messages > /dev/null
PGP Fingerprint: CC 2A DD 54 12 85 7D 8B  B3 CE B3 10 9C BE D5 69
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for public PGP key.

"When in doubt, use brute force."
	-- Ken Thompson