Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 07:51:42 -0800
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail going commercial, and ?

Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> Don Wilde wrote:
> > FWIR, the free track is _still_ free, isn't it? I thought source of 8.9
> > would be available, just not the so-called 'Pro' enhancements. As
> > Jonathan says, it serves me well, although certainly a .cf-rule-writing
> > front end would be a blessing.
>
>         the .cf-rule-writing front end is the m4 preprocessor
>         and the example .mc files in ..../sendmail/cf/cf
>
>         its much better than in the days before using m4 ;)
>         (i remember when real programmers used butterfly switches
>          to hammer in the code........;)

Smile when you say that... I learned assembly on an Intel SDK-86, and
all my classwork -- including compiler-writing in CDC-6400 assembly --
was done on punch cards with 24-hour debug turnaround.

> > I might suggest that the same comments about 'abomination' have run
> > through my mind about the C language itself... ;)
>
>         gawd....dont go there.....we start talking about C++
>         and "whee lets add yet another meaning for the keyword static".
> jmb

Sorry I'm rehashing this thread long after you guys did. I used to be an
assembly programmer, and I thought between that, LISP and Smalltalk I
had it covered. The old commercial bugaboo bit me hard and I've grown
tired of being pinched by Digitalk / ParcPlace and M$ for a G$ every
year just to have the privilege. I'll learn my C and like it, thank you,
and my M4, and my YACC, and my Xt, and I'll discover the elegance you
all already know is there. I was finally cured by finding a
syntax-driven language that's _worse_ than C: PERL. Those so-called
'global' variables are absolutely impossible to remember. Once you train
yourself to see parsing and syntactic elements like %% and {} as they
are meant to be, C ain't soooo bad.
						Don