Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:34:26 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Kelsey Cummings <kgc@sonic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: automated upgrading ports?

In the last episode (Nov 16), Kelsey Cummings said:
>   I've just been wadding through an upgrade of many dependent ports
> in order to get evolution (bonobo) to install.  Now the question is,
> there is a well documented procedure to upgrading the core
> distribution from source and it's always worked great for me.  Are
> there similar tools to say, check and update all installed ports if
> needed?  It seems simple enough that someone must have already done
> it and I haven't looked hard enough.

"pkg_version -c" will output a script file that will delete, then
install updated versions of all the ports you have installed.

The problem is that, unlike the base system, the ports tree isn't built
and tested as one unit.  Neither is it installed whole by the user.  If
a major port with dependencies (say libjpeg, for example) is updated,
it might be a while for the rest of the ports to be modified to match.
Also, there's a chance that the user might have installed a program on
their own that depends on the old libjpeg library.  When libjpeg gets
updated, the other application will fail because the new libjpeg
incremented the shared library number.

There's also the problem that some ports delete their own configuration
files as part of the deletion process (or alternately overwrite
existing config files during the install process).  It's usually better
to upgrade ports manually and verify that they work correctlybefore
going on to the next one.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com