Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 02:52:29 +0200
From:      Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with NIS losing contact with master

08:07 AM 8/24/98 -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
>>Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 22:51:19 +0200
>>From: Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
>
>>We have recently started using NIS for passwd-syncing between two of
>>our internal servers. They are on different subnets and this seems to
>>cause trouble for the client.
>
>I believe you'll want to set up "slave" servers on each subnet.
>
>If I recall correctly, NIS depends on broadcasts to a significant
>degree, and those generally don't get routed between subnets.
>
>david

I have spent some more hours on this now :(

I can't get it to work the way I want. I can get it to work by
setting both servers as masters with NOPUSH=True and then using
ypxfr -h for all maps in a script started every 5 minutes in cron
on the slave. This causes unnecessary network traffic and a temporary
mismatch in the maps between the servers.

The problem seems to be that the slave is both master and
client. It seems that when the "master master" does its push,
the "slave master" tries to do ypxfr from itself, because it is
its own master... Not very meaningful.

Please give me the solution to this if there is one. I don't
think my current solution is very optimal.

Thanks for your time!

Peter Olsson   pol@leissner.se