Date:      Thu, 21 May 2009 14:13:10 +0200
From:      Henri Hennebert <hlh@restart.be>
To:        Kip Macy <kmacy@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS MFC heads down

Kip Macy wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Kip Macy <kmacy@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> I will be MFC'ing the newer ZFS support some time this afternoon. Both
>> world and kernel will need to be re-built. Existing pools will
>> continue to work without upgrade.
>>

>> If you choose to upgrade a pool to take advantage of new features you
>> will no longer be able to use it with sources prior to today. 'zfs
>> send/recv' is not expected to inter-operate between different pool
>> versions.
>

> The MFC went in r192498. Please let me know if you have any problems.

I upgrade to stable r192523:

FreeBSD morzine.restart.bel 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #0: Thu May 21
13:18:53 CEST 2009
root@morzine.restart.bel:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MORZINE  i386

some strange things:

just after boot:

[root@morzine ~]# zfs upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS filesystem version 3.

The following filesystems are out of date, and can be upgraded.  After being
upgraded, these filesystems (and any 'zfs send' streams generated from
subsequent snapshots) will no longer be accessible by older software
versions.

VER  FILESYSTEM
---  ------------
  1   pool1
  1   pool1/qemu
  1   pool1/squid
  1   pool2
  1   pool2/WorkBench
  1   pool2/backup
  1   pool2/download
  1   pool2/qemu
  1   pool2/sys
  1   rpool
  1   rpool/home
  1   rpool/root
  1   rpool/tmp
  1   rpool/usr
  1   rpool/var
  1   rpool/var/spool
[root@morzine ~]# zfs upgrade -v
The following filesystem versions are supported:

VER  DESCRIPTION
---  --------------------------------------------------------
  1   Initial ZFS filesystem version
  2   Enhanced directory entries
  3   Case insensitive and File system unique identifer (FUID)

For more information on a particular version, including supported
releases, see:

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/version/zpl/N

Where 'N' is the version number.

And now, after a few minutes:

[root@morzine ~]# zpool upgrade
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 13.

The following pools are out of date, and can be upgraded.  After being
upgraded, these pools will no longer be accessible by older software
versions.

VER  POOL
---  ------------
  6   pool1
  6   pool2
  6   rpool

Use 'zpool upgrade -v' for a list of available versions and their associated
features.
[root@morzine ~]# zpool upgrade -v
This system is currently running ZFS pool version 13.

The following versions are supported:

VER  DESCRIPTION
---  --------------------------------------------------------
  1   Initial ZFS version
  2   Ditto blocks (replicated metadata)
  3   Hot spares and double parity RAID-Z
  4   zpool history
  5   Compression using the gzip algorithm
  6   bootfs pool property
  7   Separate intent log devices
  8   Delegated administration
  9   refquota and refreservation properties
  10  Cache devices
  11  Improved scrub performance
  12  Snapshot properties
  13  snapused property
For more information on a particular version, including supported
releases, see:

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/version/N

Where 'N' is the version number.

Strange isn't it o-)

By the way all seems ok!

Thanks to all for this update to zfs V13

Henri