Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 1997 13:54:46 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2-BETA install fraught with peril?

The following experiences was on a Dell 90Mhz Pentium with 24 MB RAM,
3C509, #9 SVGA card, 2x Quantum IDE drives slaved to each other with the
IDE adapter at the motherboard, and an Adaptec 1542CF (BIOS version 2.11)
with a Micropolis 1.7GB drive, which I tried to install to.  No IRQ or IO
area conflicts.
The box run Linux (Red Hat 4.0 + upgrades) and Win 3.11 normally, and is
quite stable.  The install was done with active FTP through a proxy FTP
server on a firewall.

I encountered the following problems (some my own fault, some either bugs
or hardware problems):

(1) FreeBSD adjusted the disk geometry (probably due to some stupid
"translation" in the BIOS or similar), so I couldn't boot when I was
finished installing. I've been bitten by this before, and should be more
careful, but I think it would be an idea with a warning.  (Ie: Unreasonable
disk geometry found - guessing a better geometry - YOU WILL NOW NOT BE ABLE
TO BOOT FROM THIS DRIVE)

(2) fixit.flp didn't work - I got "disk full" and segmentation fault all
the time (until I changed root to my HD, whereupon I ended up with just
segmentation faults :)  This could be a bad disk in my end; the user I
tried to install for is notorious for having lousy floppies.

(3) The 3C509 was detected and not detected every second reboot.  This card
has always worked under Win3.11 and Linux; however, that 1542CF was new to
this install.  Win3.11 and Linux didn't seem to have any problems with it
present (I booted them a couple of times each), but this _might_ be luck.
This problem was also present on the 2.1.6 kernel (which I ended up using).

(4) For 2.2-BETA, sysinstall died with signal 10 and 11 (sometimes one,
sometimes the other), usually after attempting and failing to extract from
a media.

(5) When attempting to run passive FTP, the system couldn't cope, and I was
thrown back to the site-selector - WITH NO ERROR OR WARNING MESSAGE.  For a
user who had never done this before, it could look as if the install was
finished.  (And without debug mode, VTY2 gave me little information, too -
I found out what was wrong only after enabling debugging information.
Otherwise, I got no error messages at all when FTP failed)

(6) The documentation of proxy-FTP in the FreeBSD-handbook was quite
skimpy, and somewhat misleading.  I had to guess for myself that I would
have to put ftp@ftp.site.to.fetch.from as username for proxy-FTP to work,
and _then_ push the firewall's address into the URL.  Better documentation
or a separate setup for proxy-FTP might be a good idea.  (I know there are
more kinds of proxy-FTP servers, but with the extra .3MB it should probably
be possible to cater to them all, like WS-FTP does.)

(7) For a period, I had a problem with the network card, where I would give
all information for configuring it, the card would be configured, default
route would be added (if I had a gateway set up), and the installer would
hang.  The system was still up - I could switch VTYs and it responded to
Ctrl-C - but I got no further in the install.  The problem went away when I
moved the 1542CF BIOS from C8000H to DC000H and dropped into the BIOS of
the 1542 at the same time and looked the values over (no changes done).  I
did both at the same time (stupid me), so I don't know what caused the fix,
but assume it was the BIOS (though the drive BIOS had worked before this,
too, and believe the network had worked in Win3.11 after I added the drive
- but don't quote me on that).

(8) When fetching more things by URL, the URL is cleared to ftp:// each
time.  This also happen when you've already given the box a value.

I think that was it.  I got it to install (using 2.1.6-floppies instead of
2.2-BETA due to the bus errors/segment violations), and assume I will get
it up and running later today (I'll just have to fix the partitioning and
copy the data back), so I haven't and problems asa a such, but it would be
nice for everybody else to get this fixed (as I now know the quirks, and
won't have more trouble :)

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/