Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:29:42 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <johnsa@kpi.com.au>
To:        The Clark Family <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fatal trap 12 whilst in idle state???

Thanks for the suggestion, however all the fans seem to be going OK.

I've since upgraded to 4.0-STABLE and it's been going OK since then.  Only
time will tell I guess....

Thanks again anyway.

The Clark Family wrote:

> Check your CPU fan.
>
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Andrew Johns wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Machine: PII266, 64MB SDRAM, SCSI HD x 2, nothing out of the ordinary
> >
> > This machine has rebooted twice in the last few days, both times with little
> > to zero load, both times with no users logged on, once with several Samba
> > connections active.  No messages went to /var/log/messages.
> >
> > Upon searching the archives I saw a quote from DG about idle state panics
> > being very suspicious, prob RAM or disk errors... I'm building a debug
> > kernel tonight and will be able to forward more details as soon as I can.
> >
> > So, my Q is, any other ideas that people may have in the interim as to what
> > would cause these panics?
> >
> > uname -a:
> > FreeBSD pace2000.hazellbros.com.au 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #0:
> > Sat Jun 17 13:09:40 EST 2000
> > root@pace2000.hazellbros.com.au:/usr/src/sys/compile/PACE2000  i386
> >
> > Panic message (the last one - the first one I missed completely):
> >
> > Fatal Trap 12: Page fault while in kernel mode
> > Fault virt addr = 0x08
> > Fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> > ip = 0x8:0xc019464c (nm /kernel => 0xc194560 arpintr 0xc1946f8 in_arpinput)
> > sp = 0x10:0xc02377e4
> > fp = 0x10:0xc02377ec
> > cs = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> >    = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> > proc eflags = int enabled, resume, IOPL=0
> > current proc = idle
> > int mask =
> > trap number = 12
> > panic: page fault
> > syncing disks
> > Fatal Trap 12: Page fault while in kernel mode
> > Fault virt addr = 0x10
> > Fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> > ip = 0x8:0xc01cf7cb (nm /kernel => 0xc01cf684 vnode_pager_generic_putpages
> >                                    0xc01cf864 vnode_pager_lock)
> > sp = 0x10:0xc0237480
> > fp = 0x10:0xc02374d8
> > cs = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> >    = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> > proc eflags = int enabled, resume, IOPL=0
> > current proc = idle
> > int mask =
> > trap number = 12
> > panic: page fault
> > Uptime: 1d2h8m4s (since prev spontaneous reboot in fact)
> >
> > dumping to dev #da/0x20001, offset 16 ......

[boot messages snipped for bandwidth conservation]

BTW: CC me as I'm not subscibed to questions (only stable, security and
announce :)) )

regards

AJ