Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:33:28 +1200
From:      Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 7-stable on Asus Pro31j - suspend and resume

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Saturday 28 June 2008 05:25:29 am Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>
>> I've just seen Christopher's post on the nc6230 suspend and resume - I'm
>> suffering what looks like the same problem with an Asus pro31j:
>>
>> 1/ Suspend to S1 and resume works fine
>> 2/ Suspend to S3 and resume works *but* I have no video thereafer.
>>
>> I've have these set:
>>
>> hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1
>> hw.acpi.reset_video: 1
>>

>> plus the ata-resume patch:
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/ata_resume.patch
>>
>> I know S3 is resuming ok, as I can ssh in via re0 interface and check
>> the message log:
>>
>> Jun 28 14:50:04 zul acpi: suspend to 0x03 at 20080628 14:50:04
>> Jun 28 14:53:41 zul kernel: wakeup from sleeping state (slept 00:03:30)
>> Jun 28 14:53:43 zul acpi: resumed from 0x03 at 20080628 14:53:43
>>
>> (I've patched rc.suspend and rc.resume to log both $subsystem and $state)
>>

>> I have not tried setting:
>>
>> hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=1
>>
>> as I have no such sysctl oid!
>>

> You have to use the acpi_video(4) driver (kldload acpi_device or 'device
> acpi_video').  Your BIOS also has to provide video control via ACPI.
>

>> Any suggestions welcome, and thanks Christopher for raising this!
>>

> You can also try http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/dpms.patch (you'll need
> to either add 'device dpms' to your kernel config or build dpms.ko and
> kldload it).  It is a committable version of the old DPMS patch that uses
> VESA DPMS to turn off the monitor on suspend and turn it back on on resume.

Unfortunately adding acpi_video and hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=1 in
rc.resume makes no difference.

I was pretty hopeful that the dpms patch would sort this out... however
the behaviour is exactly the same :-(. I have it loaded as a module:
$ kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    9 0xc0400000 98559c   kernel
 2    1 0xc0d86000 218c     dpms.ko
 3    1 0xc0d89000 6a2c4    acpi.ko
 4    1 0xc5a04000 21000    radeon.ko
 5    1 0xc5a25000 f000     drm.ko

Anything else required to activate it?

Also, with this patched kernel I have not got acpi_video loaded - as
trying to load it in loader.conf gave me the "don't know which disk to
boot from" error - strange.

Thanks for the patches and suggestions!

Mark