Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:22:56 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Using cvsup with multiple servers

Gary Dunn wrote:
> What is the best way to use cvsup in a multi-server environment? I
> have four servers. None are exactly the same. The only thing they have
> in common is that they use a Pentium CPU. Three (A B C) are production
> servers with lots of real user accounts and data. The forth is my test
> and configuration management (CM) system.
>
> Currently what I do is run cvsup from the CM machine, then push out
> the updates with rsync. Each system has its own ports collection. Each
> port is built on the machine it will run on.
>
> I thought it would be simpler if I use NFS to mount the ports
> collection on each of the production systems, maintaining just one
> copy on the CM machine. Then I would build each port on the machine it
> will run on. My concern is for how a build on server A will affect a
> build on server B. Will a "make clean" be enough?

Real world experience:
I have anywhere between 3 and 6 FreeBSD machines here at any point in
time.  I keep 1 that is cvsupped nightly (via cron) and I mount both
the ports directory and the /usr/src directory off that machine when
I want to install a port or upgrade my sources.
It seems to work very nicely for the most part.  Each machine has its
own /etc/make.conf so those values aren't shared.  Another advantage is
that the sources are all on the one machine and don't need transferred
if I install on different machines.
The only problem I've had is that sometimes the ports seem to get
confused as to whether or not a machine already has the port installed.
For example, I install the port on machine A and when it's done, do a
'make clean', but when I go to install the port on machine B, it seems
to think it's already there.  I've found that issuing 'make deinstall'
on machine B generates a lot of complaints, but a 'make install' then
works, so it's not a big deal.
Keeping the FreeBSD sources up to date is even easier, I just keep
/usr/obj on the local machine and /usr/src mounts via NFS.  Since I
always wipe /usr/obj before building, I've never had any problem. It
makes it rather nice, since all my kernel config files are in one
place.

> I have heard that there are tools for managing the ports
> collection. Are there any that would make my life easier?

Not sure what tools would help in your particular situation.

> BTW, I am in Hawaii, and it's a beautiful, sunny day, temp around
> 80F. I guess it's pretty cold today for most of you.

You're cruel and evil.  I hope your ice cream melts.  It's 17 degrees
here and with the 25-50 mph wind chill, it feels like 5 below.  There
are snow drifts multiple feet deep in places and the roads are dangerous
and the road crews are reporting that they'll be out of salt by this
weekend, so things are going to get worse.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies