Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2006 03:22:23 +0000
From:      "Jr Porkchop" <jrporkchop@hotmail.com>
To:        Alexander@Leidinger.net
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound Blaster Live! External: Would like some help please

Hi Alexander,

>On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 05:22:15 +0000
>"Jr Porkchop" <jrporkchop@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >          I was wondering if anyone has had success with the 'Sound
>Blaster
> > Live! 24-bit External' USB Audio card, I have managed to get it
>initialising
> > but i can't get it to produce sound.  I have produced a custom kernel
>with
> > Ariff Abdullah's patch for RELEASE 6.0 to the /usr/src and used:
> > device       sound    # Loads generic sound for headers
> > device       snd_uaudio  # Loads USB audio
> > in the kernel config.
>
> > cat /dev/sndstat:
> > FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> > Installed devices:
> > pcm0: <USB Audio> at ?  (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)
>
>Try to increase the number of virtual channels, e.g. "sysctl
>hw.snd.maxautovchans=3".

Changed to 4 and changed the hw.snd.pcm0.vchans to 4 and a readout of
"sysctl hw.snd" follows;
hw.snd.targetirqrate: 32
hw.snd.report_soft_formats: 1
hw.snd.feeder_rate_ratemin: 4000
hw.snd.feeder_rate_ratemax: 1102500
hw.snd.feeder_rate_scaling: 5
hw.snd.feeder_rate_buffersize: 8192
hw.snd.verbose: 1
hw.snd.unit: 0
hw.snd.maxautovchans: 4
hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize: 16384
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans: 4
hw.snd.pcm0.vchanrate: 48000

>Try to mute the device and then unmute it again (at least the GNOME
>panel applet is able to mute/unmute a device, and I have to do the same
>in Windows too when I want to use my uaudio device).

How would I mute/unmute devices by using a widget in KDE or do you suggest
changing to gnome, or is there a command line like "mixer pcm 0" or is the
"push to mute" volume switch used.

I had near success when I heard window like noises when I was playing with
settings in KDE control centre but they went dead again and have been trying
to recreate the settings but to no avail.  Also is there any way of running
at it Hi-speed becasue at the minute it's running at Full speed (12MB/s).

Thank you for helping me.

Bye,
Christopher