Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 23:18:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        sporkl@dti.net
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: E-net cards, Number-Nine vid cards

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, sporkl wrote:

> 	I am (maybe) in the market for a new computer.
> 	I have been considering a Micron dual P200MHZ pros, 64MB ECC EDO
> RAM, ultra-wide SCSI, Number Nine Revolution 3D vid card w/4MB ram, and
> it comes with a "fast ethernet 10/100 pci network adapter". Doesn't say
> what kind of e-net card. What ethernet cards do you recommend?

For 10/100, go with either a Digital-based card (SMC, Accton, Dayna,
others) or with an Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B.

> Also, does X support the Number Nine Revolution card? It doesn't seem to
> be there in the cards database, so I don't know.

Number Nine used to use S3 chipsets, I don't know if they still do. XFree
does support the S3 equipment so query #9 and see if they can tell you
what it's based on.

> 	Since this machine (which will be used as both an over-the-net
>  server and a personal machine) would have two proccessors, I would need
> an SMP kernel. I guess that means 3.0, which is fine with me. My next
> question would be: Is 3.0 on CD-ROM? If not, does anyone know when it will
> be?

CURRENT isn't produced on CD, but there are occaisional SNAPs that are.
The last SNAP CD is for October 14.  If you decide to track -current you
should subscribe to the freebsd-current mailing list.