Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 00:10:13 -0500
From:      "Halber Mensch" <shocker@ionet.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   yet another network monkey

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BFA5A5.CDE83F80

I'm trying to do something nearly impossible.. my TCP/IP knowledge is =
way too slim for this.

here's the situation...

bsd box with two nics... one pointing to static cable address, one to =
192.168.0.1 LAN address

I'm trying to get a local LAN working on the 192.168.0.xxx and have it =
all route through the BSD box.. I've enabled the router daemon and by =
some freak chance I got the BSD box to route out... I could never get =
the LAN to communicate. .. to say nothing about having it route through =
the BSD box...

and here's something else wierd.. I managed to gnarl up the config =
somehow... the two NICs are setup with the proper addies, and the =
routing table appears to direct the routing correctly... but when I try =
to ping out to the cable router I can see the packets go out and return, =
but the packets lost somewhere. I think my config is just all hosed now. =
If anyone has done anything similar I would appreciate some advice.. =
also.. do I need to be setting the machine up as just a router or as a =
gateway as well? and what system should be the default router?

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BFA5A5.CDE83F80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm trying to do something nearly =
impossible.. my=20
TCP/IP knowledge is way too slim for this.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>here's the situation...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>bsd box with two nics... one pointing =
to static=20
cable address, one to 192.168.0.1 LAN address</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm trying to get a local LAN working =
on the=20
192.168.0.xxx and have it all route through the BSD box.. I've enabled =
the=20
router daemon and by some freak chance I got the BSD box to route out... =
I could=20
never get the LAN to communicate. .. to say nothing about having it =
route=20
through the BSD box...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>and here's something else wierd.. I =
managed to=20
gnarl up the config somehow... the two NICs are setup with the proper =
addies,=20
and the routing table appears to direct the routing correctly... but =
when I try=20
to ping out to the cable router I can see the packets go out and return, =
but the=20
packets lost somewhere. I think my config is just all hosed now. If =
anyone has=20
done anything similar I would appreciate some advice.. also.. do I need =
to be=20
setting the machine up as just a router or as a gateway as well? and =
what system=20
should be the default router?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01BFA5A5.CDE83F80--