Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 1996 16:35:29 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org, pst@Shockwave.COM
Subject:   Re: s/rpc\.\(.*\)/\1/g?

>I'd have no objection to renaming the new utilities, if, and only if,
>we do it consistently and rename all the rpc utilities.  This seems reasonable
>given that nfsd and mountd don't have rpc. in front of them.

I rather like rpc.foo.  It's better than having an rpc subdirectory of
/usr/libexec to contain just a few files.

There are several other inconsistent naming schemes in /usr/libexec:

- the locate.* files
- the lpr subdirectory to contain one file
- the uucp subdirectory to contain two files, the names of which already
  have a `uu' prefix.

Bruce