Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 2001 01:31:54 -0700
From:      "Robert J. Hansen" <rjhansen@inav.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Newbie: Q regarding /dev entries

Howdy there.  I'm new to FreeBSD, but have been using That Other Free
UNIX-alike for the last few years and am pretty comfortable with it,
although I'm certainly no guru.  Recently, in an attempt to broaden my
UNIX horizons, I've attempted to install FreeBSD (I happened to have 4.0
CDs lying around--forgot where I picked them up from).

The install was relatively painless, and the command-line environment
seems reasonably familiar.  First thing I went about doing was
attempting to mount a CD so I could install bash (as opposed to sh).
This is where I ran into my first problem.

Whereas Linux has /dev/hdX entries that make a degree of sense (/dev/hda
is my main HD, /dev/hdb is a Zip, /dev/hdc is my CD-ROM), the plethora
of entries in FreeBSD-4.0's /dev/ hierarchy is confusing the living
daylights out of me.

Attempting to mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0 and /dev/cd0a (the two most likely
candidates, I thought) were fruitless.  I tried several others which I
thought were likely, and struck out on those as well.

Thus, my first question: given that in Linux my setup is:

/dev/hda --> IDE HD
/dev/hdb --> IDE Zip
/dev/hdc --> IDE CDROM

... can anyone give me a pointer on which /dev entries those correspond
to in FreeBSD?

==========

Second question.  I'd like to get EMACS rewired to accept the backspace
key, instead of throwing a fit at the fact that I'm not using delete.
Now, I can just hack out a short EMACS LISP definition to remap the key,
but I was hoping there was a more elegant solution.

If these questions have already been answered in a FAQ somewhere, please
point me to it--I searched through the docs on FreeBSD.org, and couldn't
find answers to these questions.  However, I'm not ruling out the
possibility I missed one.

Thanks in advance!  :)