Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 19:36:40 +0200
From:      Paul Schenkeveld <paul@psconsult.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Diskless VMware bridge problem

Hi,

I'm trying to get VMware 2 to work on a diskless workstation using
a bridged ethernet interface.

The system freezes and complains that the NFS server is down when
line 7 of the snippet of rc.d/vmware.sh shown below gets executed.

    1  if [ X$bridged = XYES ]; then
    2      kldstat -v | grep netgraph >/dev/null || kldload netgraph.ko
    3      kldstat -v | grep ng_ether >/dev/null || kldload ng_ether.ko
    4      kldstat -v | grep ng_bridge >/dev/null || kldload ng_bridge.ko
    5      ngctl mkpeer vmnet1: bridge lower link0
    6      ngctl name vmnet1:lower vmnet_bridge
    7      ngctl connect vmnet_bridge: ${bridge_interface}: link1 lower
    8      ngctl connect vmnet_bridge: ${bridge_interface}: link2 upper
    9      ngctl msg ${bridge_interface}: setautosrc 0
   10      ngctl msg ${bridge_interface}: setpromisc 1
   11      ngctl msg vmnet1: setautosrc 0
   12      ngctl msg vmnet1: setpromisc 1
   13  fi

The system is running RELENG_4_3 of 2001/07/21 23:00 UTC, the tap
diffs are applied.  Root, /usr and /home are NFS mounted and /dev,
/etc and /var are mfs mounts (as set up by rc.diskless[12]).

What puzzles me most is that everything is running fine when I do
exactly the same on the same machine with a harddisk (same kernel
and userland).

I really need bridging for this virtual machine and I'd be very
unhappy to put a disk into the machine or make root a memory disk.

Any ideas out there?

Need more info?  Let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Schenkeveld