Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2003 16:54:55 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to kill a 5.0R installation with 5.1R

--St7VIuEGZ6dlpu13

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 03:45:56PM +0200, Martin Blapp wrote:
>=20
> Folks,
>=20
> This is the second time that I have this happen here. I had
> a 5.0R installed on a box. After upgrading, (make world && make kernel)
> the box crashes instantly in the boot loader and reboots itself.
>=20
How does it crash?

> If I try to load the kernel manually, I get:
>=20
> Disk error 0x4, (lba=3D0xfc2247f)
>=20
You mean without loader?  From the boot blocks?  If so,
the support for this has been broken for a long time.
Ask BDE for patches.  :-)

Also, have you tried the official 5.1-RELEASE bits,
like booting from the installation CD-ROM?

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software Ltd,