Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 19:45:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, dv@dv.ru, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DoS from local users (fwd)

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Kevin Day wrote:

> > In message <199904102057.PAA27724@home.dragondata.com> Kevin Day writes:
> > : i.e. uid 1001 starts 40 processes eating as much cpu as they can. Then uid
> > : 1002 starts up one process. Uid 1002's process gets 50% cpu, and uid 1001's
> > : 40 processes get 50% cpu shared between them.
> >
> > I've seen some experimental patches in the past that try to do just
> > this.  However, there are some problems.  What if uid 1002's process
> > does a sleep.  Should the 40 processes that 1001 just get 50% of the
> > cpu?  Or should there be other limits.  It turns into an interesting
> > research problem in a hurry.
> >
> > Warner
> >

> I was thinking essentially just processes in the RUN state get applied to
> this. If the cpu would otherwise be sitting idle, by all means give it to
> someone. But, if two users have processes running, just because one user has
> 50 processes doesn't mean it should get 50x the cpu as one user who has one
> process running. If a process is in sleep or blocked(select, IO, whatever),
> it's taken out of consideration for the cpu, and the full cpu is given to
> those processes that actually have work to do.
>

> At least, that's my take on it.
>
> I run into this problem daily, and i get enough user complains of "User x
> has 50 processes running, eating as much cpu as they can, my compile just
> took 15 minutes".

"What was their user name again?"
*click xterm click*
ps aux | grep ^user | wc -l
"Hmm, you're right, fifty processes called 'cpuwaster'."
rmuser user
"They've been eliminated, thank you for letting us know of problems you have!"

It's called "being a sysadmin". If someone's abusing the machine, delete em.

> Kevin

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \__ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___/___/___/