Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 11:35:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Britton Johnson <johnson@lindenwood.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TIS firewall toolkit and Freebsd port question

Greetings FreeBSD gurus,

I have a firewall running FreeBSD and TIS toolkit
(http://www.tis.com/prodserv/fwtk/).  I was curious if you knew if there
was any way to get the ports on the different interface cards to behave
differently.  Example, our ISP has some "plugs" set up that will
listen to the outside on a particular port and patch them inside to a
particular ip and port (like our nntp server).  I was just curious, if
anyone knew of a way to possibly have tn-gw (telnet proxy) bound to the
telnet port on the inside interface and perhaps a direct plug on the
outside interface that pipes straight to an ip and telnet port on a
machine inside.  What the heck am I talking about??? ;-)  I am trying to
make it so that if someone telnets to the firewall from inside, they get
the proxy that can send them outside, if they telnet to the firewall from
outside they get direct link to the email machine inside.  Is something
like that possible with inetd.conf?

I am relatively new to the biz, and I appreciate any thoughts or insight
on the subject.  I would also appreciate any thoughts about the strengths
or weaknesses of this strategy.

Thanks,

Britt

- Britton Johnson, Ass't System Admin.  Lindenwood University, St. Charles, MO -
    Disclaimer: Any typos or grammatical errors are purely intentoinal.  ;-)