Date:      Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:26:16 +0300
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS on 4K drives - Expanding zpool and adding spares (gnop method)

On 01.06.11 11:19, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> The 4k-sector part results in a pool specific config setting. I would
> expect that if you add additional drives (no matter if 4k or not),
> that the pool will continue to use 4k sectors. So I would expect that
> you do not need gnop to expend an existing pool, but I have not
> tested/verified this.

The ashift property is per-vdev, so you have to use gnop for each new
vdev you add to the zpool. You also do not need to create gnop devices
for all new drives -- the vdev will use the largest sector size of any
member to calculate it's ashift value.

For example, creating the pool

gnop create -S 4096 disk0
zpool create test mirror disk0.nop disk1
zpool export test
gnop destroy disk0.nop
zpool import test

adding another vdev