Date:      Thu, 8 May 2003 13:50:02 -0600
From:      anu_subramanian@agilent.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   IP header length in RAW IP packets

Hello,

I'm a new user of this mailing list.

I'm using FreeBSD 4.4. I see that in ip_input, the IP header length is subtracted from the  length field in the IP header. For raw ip, rip_input does not seem to add that back when it passes the IP datagram to the user, i.e., it passes the datagram up with ip->ip_len = total length - header length.

My question is: Why, if the IP header is passed up, does the length not reflect that?

Please let me know if I should've posted this elsewhere.

Many Thanks,
Anu.

Anu Subramanian
Software Engineer