Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:18:33 -0500
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        "Kiril Mitev" <kiril@ideaglobal.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: "your system is too old" ??

Who are you building the port as?  a regular user or as root?

If not as root, try building it as root, because I had this exact same
problem when I ran mergemaster with a umask of 0077.  There is a file in
/etc that make needs to be able to read, I can't remember the exact name at
the moment.  It contains the current version number of your FreeBSD.  Maybe
someone else on the list knows which file it is.

Actually, if this is the case, the access denied error should proceed the
error you sent us in the e-mail.

In any case, if you make this file world readable again (644) your problem
should go away.

-Chris