Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:56:54 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <davids@webmaster.com>, <chat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        TM4525@aol.com
Subject:   RE: GPL vs BSD Licence

At 11:48 PM 10/29/2004, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>That is one of the arguments.  But, the GPL is concerned with distribution.
>I think this has been raised before with them.  I think that the scenario
>was, if I make a program that dynamically links into GPL, then I distribute
>both my program and the GPL code that it links into, do I have to put my
>program under GPL?  I think their answer was yes - they argued that when
>the linking takes place and who links it is immaterial, and that the fact
>that your program cannot run without their stuff means that when your code
>is running, that your program and their stuff become as a single program.
>
>This is why they created the LGPL.

And then, after Linux was a success and they'd gotten a lock on
certain application areas for UNIX-like operating systems
(e.g. compilers), they made the LGPL more restrictive and
renamed it from the "Library GPL" to the "Lesser GPL."
And since the FSF requires all of the "GNU" software to be
signed over to it, suddenly the rug is pulled out from under
those who were using the software under the less restrictive
license. The FSF now recommends that libraries be GPLed, to
trap developers.

Stallman loves to say, "Gotcha!"

--Brett Glass