Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 18:58:24 -0500
From:      "Chris Steva" <csteva@crs.STUDENT.CWRU.Edu>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ATM LANE support

I was pleasantly surprised to find that FreeBSD 3.0 supported my FORE
PCA-200e ATM card, but I wasn't able to get it up and running becuase there
is no support for ethernet LANE (LAN emulation).  Instead I found HARP,
which appears to be some kind of substitue to LANE for running IP over ATM.
Will there be support for LANE in the future?

I havn't been able to find any information about what's is going on in
FreeBSD ATM land.  The Linux ATM world doesn't seem to be any further along,
but I saw that they do have LANE support in their alpha release of ATM
drivers.

Chris
    -A very satisfied FreeBSD user and trapped on an ATM LANE network
w/Win98.