Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 1996 19:19:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
Cc:        alk@Think.COM, current@freefall.freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EtherExpress16 problems

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Tony Kimball wrote:
> >> (Incidentally, I do not understand about IRQs 2 and 9.  Is there a
> >> document I might read?  Are they available for assignment to devices,
> >> generally?)
> >
> > The book "Running FreeBSD" has a good discussion on it.
>
> Thank you.

:-)  The "discussion" isn't as long as I remember it, but I was trying to
recall the information from memory, and it must have gotten mixed in there.

Hey, I've gotten two questions on how to get the book from that response :-)

> > The 2/9 is a
> > hack to support 16 bit interrupts.  Back in the old days of XTs they only
> > had 8 bit interrupts, and when 16 bit came they decided to cascase IRQ 2
> > to 9.  Don't ask me why.  :)
>
> The interrupt controller chip used in the XT and AT was the Intel
> 8259A.  It handled 8 interrupts, but had a so-called "cascade mode",
> where you could designate each of the primary interrupts as
> representing another group of 8.  This is what they did in the AT:
> they took IRQ2, which up to this point had hardly been used, and used
> it for the interrupt input from the second 8259A.  The *real* IRQ2
> thus represents all of the IRQs from 8 to 15.  This is (almost)
> completely transparent to the software, the only exception being the
> interrupt controller initialisation routines.
>
> There is also an ISA bus line called IRQ2 (B4: on the rear of the
> connector, 4th from left when you have the connector pointing down)
> It used to be connected to IRQ2 on the XT, but it now homeless, since
> it couldn't be connected to IRQ2.  Instead, they connected it to
> IRQ9.  Unfortunately, the line is (AFAIK) still called IRQ2.  Thus the
> confusion.
>
> Bottom line: it's really IRQ9, but it's the only one of the IRQs 8-15
> which you can use with an 8 bit board.

Thanks for the info.

> Is this clear?  Is it interesting?  Shall I put it in the next edition
> of the book?

It's OK as is, but maybe the above would be interesting as a sidebar.

You might add instructions on how to add a second disk into the system.
I don't think it's even documented anywhere in the FreeBSD Doc Project,
and is one of the Frequently Asked Questions here, and should be easily
answerable (after all, it's pretty basic!).