Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:45:27 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        James Gill <gill@topsecret.net>
Cc:        Len Huppe <huppe@execpc.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Certification

	Please send replies to -chat, as we're pretty far out of -questions
territory.

James Gill wrote:

> ->  The best education and certification program that I have ever
> ->  seen is taking
> ->  the
> ->  time to build your own client/server network at home with open-source
> ->  software.
> ->  You'll learn more that way, and develop some real useable skills.
> ->
> ->  Go for it :)
>
> While I agree, how would you recommend I word that on my resume to ensure an
> extra ten or fifteen grand?

	"Developed and maintained a _N_ client private user network using FreeBSD
as the bastion host. Techniques utilized include Network Address
Translation (NAT), firewalling, internal/external DNS and mail
configuration, file and print serving (including windows and unix shared
systems), and world wide web services. Machines are routed through a
standard UTP ethernet hub."

... or words to that effect. That's actually not too far off the mark from
what I really used. I also included references to contributions I've made
to the project (as someone else suggested) and a copy of mergemaster and
its man page as an example of my programming/system administration and
documentation expertise.

	At the same time, when I was hustling for consulting business I often came
across questions like, "What kind of certifications do you have?" from
clueless clients. I was usually able to deflect them by pointing out that
for what they needed me to do there really isn't any kind of certification,
combined with a pretty convincing "I keep fixing it till it's right or your
money back" guarantee (which I never had to deliver on). In the end though,
I know I lost business because of it, and if I didn't hate microsoft so
much I would have taken the MCSE just to pacify the stupid people.
Ultimately I decided that the stupid people weren't worth pacifying, and
about the same time I got the word on the availability of my current job so
I jumped at it. Sometimes I'd still rather have my freedom, but then I look
at the shiny new 4Runner in my drive way and money in the bank and I can
console myself for "selling out." :)

Doug