Date:      Tue, 14 May 2013 13:57:41 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hot Swapping SATA drive?

On Tue, 14 May 2013 07:45:21 -0400
Robert Huff wrote:

> Ronald F. Guilmette writes:
>
> >  3) Assuming that I want to do this stuff, what BIOS options
> >  should I be setting or unsetting on the motherboard?
>
> 	I am unable to check the BIOS settings on that MB (which may
> be ASrock as well), but I don't believe I had to do anything other
> hand make sure eSATA was enabled.

I don't there there is any difference between SATA and eSATA above the
physical layer. I'm not sure what that setting would do.

You do need to set the SATA channel to AHCI. Note that this may require
Windows to be updated if it's on a the same drive or if it's on a
a group of channels that's switched collectively.