Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2007 21:19:27 -0600
From:      Joe Vender <jvender@owensboro.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using gpg-agent on freebsd

I'm using FreeBSD 6.2

I've been tinkering with using gpg-agent for GnuPG passphrase caching when
using Kmail. I have been able to get it working as per the instructions at
http://freebsd.kde.org/howtos/gnupg-kmail.php
for starting the daemon when entering KDE. But, I want to start gpg-agent when
the sytem starts and I login to console mode (not just when I enter KDE), and
I want Kmail to use the agent for GnuPG usage. Could someone please describe
to me the details of the steps that I need to take and the file modifications
that I need to make for this to work.

Again, I want the gpg-agent to be up and running when I login to the console,
also when I log into KDE, I want Kmail to use the agent. The way I log into
KDE is to first login to the console via a limited user account, then do sudo
kdm and log into KDE using the same limited user account. I have root login
disabled for both console and KDE. I've read the instructions for using a
~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession to start the gpg-agent daemon when logging into
kde, but I have neither file in my home directory, and anyway want the daemon
running upon entering console mode login, i.e., running always and only one
gpg-agent process running at any given time. Please CC my email address with
any responses. Thanks very much for suggestions. FreeBSD rocks!

Joe Vender