Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:32:11 -0800
From:      "A. Lewis" <hakubi_@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.7-STABLE upgrade boot failure. - Semi-solved.

>> >  No, I just meant that I copied MAKEDEV from /usr/src into /dev, and
>> >  then ran ./MAKEDEV std from /dev, as per the UPDATING instructions.
>
>>     hmm, does UPDATING say you should do that? all I know is
>>     asks whether I want to have /dev/* rebuilt, and I let it do so.
>>
>>     UPDATING notwithstanding, you did *not* rebuild ad{4,5}*. take a
>>     look in /dev/MAKEDEV: calling it with "std" does not touch ad* at
>>     all. what you want is:
>>
>>     cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV all ad4 ad5

>  yeah, this updated my ad* entries just fine, which was actually the
>conclusion i'd come to a little while ago, i just didn't know how to do
> >it.

>  Silly me thinking that "all" == everything.

>  all of this aside, the base problem remains. Even with the updated >ad*
>entries sitting in /dev, I still get a root mount failed error message >on
>boot with no way I can see to load the 4.7 kernel.

  Okay, just to update.. after much searching and reading, I discovered that
the way FreeBSD past a certain point is *supposed* to handle RAID hardware
arrays is to designate them as arX, and then you can use atacontrol to
attach/detach/whatever.

  So basically, when I updated to 4.7-STABLE from 4.5-RC1, I was changing
the way it was looking at my current mirror setup. It now wanted to see the
array as ar0, except it wouldn't boot off of ar0s1a or anything.

  I broke the mirror and promptly tried to boot with ad4 and ad5 being
individual drives instead of a mirror, and suddenly /dev/ad4s1a would boot
just fine.

  Why it recognized the HPT370 as ar0 on 4.5 and worked fine while booting a
hardware mirrored drive from /dev/ad4s1a, and would not do the same under
4.7, I couldn't tell you.

  So now my question is, how can I recreate the mirror? I don't want to take
down my whole system and resynch those two drives only to have it fail to
boot again. Should I just do it in software?

  Anyways, thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

  Aaron Lewis.