Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:52:47 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jos Chrispijn <kernel@webrz.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Pkgng | Compiled versions download

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 12:31:45 +0100, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
>    Just found out that updating my ports with pkg is causing an issue: it
>    downloads compiled versions.

The use of pkg implies (precompiled) binary packages.
Whenever you update something using pkg, it will download
and install the precompiled packages from the given
repository.

pkg_* (old)		-> binary
pkg (new)		-> binary
"make" et al.		-> from source
port management tools	-> usually from source (binary possible)

Combining those methods has been possible for decades,
but emphasizes that you know what you're doing. :-)

>    The problem I get now is that pe with Postfix, TLD and Dovecot are not
>    part of that compilation - in other words I have to reinstall before it
>    works.

If I read this correctly: You have previously been using
compiled (by you) versions of the mentioned programs, and
pkg didn't upgrade them?

>    Is there a way of compiling the port(s) after downloaden (sorry, pkg
>    nub online)?

Tools like portmaster can be used here. They allow you to
control if programs should be updated binarily or from
source. This of course requires your /usr/ports tree to
be up to date. See "man portmaster" for details, especially
the -P and -PP options.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany