Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:02:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: latest VMware port dumping core. Please advise vmware newbie ...

In muc.lists.freebsd.emulation, you wrote:
[skipped]
>I was trying to use an existing partition win98 partition on ad0 (which I'd
>already setup with its own "vmware" hardware profile with nothing "fancy"
>installed--just plain jane win98 installation). As I wen through the
>configuration wizard, things seemed to make sense. I saved everything then
>clicked on the "power on" button and vmware immediate core-dumped and gave me
>this:
>
>Jul 23 16:54:11 whale /WHALE: /dev/vmmon: ALLOW_CORE_DUMP called
>Jul 23 16:54:12 whale /WHALE: /dev/vmmon: ALLOW_CORE_DUMP called
>Jul 23 16:54:12 whale /WHALE: pid 72293 (vmware), uid 0: exited on signal 6
>  (core dumped)
>Jul 23 16:54:12 whale /WHALE: /dev/vmmon: Vmx86_DestroyVM: unlocked pages: 0,
>  unlocked dirty pages: 0
>
>Does this ring a bell to anybody?
It's looks like old problem with raw devices. Under FreeBSD it's impossible to
get real configuration of hard drive. And gueses about that not always right.

In you situation it has a sense to read  the file
/usr/local/share/doc/vmware/Hints.FreeBSD and using not a raw device, but
plain disk. Required numbers you could get from configuration file for raw
device (and to do some work about substraction and addition on them).

[skipped]
>I messed around with some more configurations and chose one that used a
>virtual disk. AT this point I could get my win98 bootup disk to almost boot
>(went almost the whole way through then it seemed to "hang" ...).
Unfortunatly I can't get any clue about vmware hanging - it should works at
the same way as under Linux.

--
Vladimir