Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2001 07:31:57 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendto: No buffer space available

In message <986172398.3ac7cbee50610@webmail.harmonic.co.il>, Roman
Shterenzon w
rites:
> Hi,
> I've just got ADSL at home (using mpd-netgraph, Archie - it's really cool:) )
> .
> After some amount of data passed through the line, I'm getting:
> sendto: No buffer space available
> even for ping (!)
>
> alchemy:/home/mapc% netstat -m
> 178/880/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
>         148 mbufs allocated to data
>         26 mbufs allocated to packet headers
>         4 mbufs allocated to fragment reassembly queue headers
> 143/240/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
> 700 Kbytes allocated to network (22% of mb_map in use)
> 0 requests for memory denied
> 0 requests for memory delayed
> 0 calls to protocol drain routines
>
> Thus, I don't see mbuf starvation. What could it be? Perhaps it's some other
> error which is reported incorrectly? This is 4.3-RC2 kernel.

I had this problem with a 3C509B card when pushing a lot of data
through to a slower machine on my network.  ifconfig ep0 down; ifconfig
ep0 up fixed the problem when it occurred, however it would occur a
number of times a day.  I ultimately replaced the 3C509B.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC