Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:44:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@aracnet.com>
To:        "Robert M. Shields" <wildcard@bnswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DSL / Routing / ipfw issues

> For some reason USWorst won't support what I'm doing.. i.e. they want every machine
> on my network to DHCP the 675 for a IP address and the 675 then DHCP's uswest.net's
> server for an IP address.  The 675 then provides NAT to the network.

	I think it might be best to have the 675 get it's DHCP from USW,
set it up in Bridging mode then make your firewall/Natd computer hand out
DHCP too. The only reason I'd do it differently would be to have the
redundancy of a 2nd firewall. Actually you should dump US West anyways and
find a provider who'll give you a static IP, even easier to setup and if
you look around it'll cost only marginally more (like $2/month) If you go
that route you can do what I did, set the 675 to bridge, assign the IP to
your firewall machine's primary NIC. Use IPFW/Natd to create a gateway
through your second NIC. It'll cost you an extra card but I think it'd be
easier to setup. :)

						Rick