Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:13:23 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious boot during the night

Broken line wraps.

On Sunday, 18 November 2001 at 15:26:44 -0500, Andrew C. Hornback wrote:
> On  Sunday, November 18, 2001 7:45 AM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>> Andrew writes:
>>
>>> Just to be safe, I'd still seek some kind of diagnostic just to
>>> make sure.
>>
>> That would not be logical.  Hardware failures are extremely rare;
>> software failures are extremely common.  It doesn't make sense to
>> spend time trying to rule out hardware (which is never actually
>> possible, anyway) when a software error is more likely to be the
>> culprit.

That depends on the effort involved.

>>> I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that if you CVSupped
>>> to the newest version, it might include the fix.
>>
>> I have something that I got somewhere with cvsup; maybe it was
>> source, or the latest ports, or something.  I don't know exactly
>> what source is currently on the machine.q

The first thing you need to do is fix that problem.  You *must* know
what sources you have.

>> In general, I do not update an entire operating system in a shotgun
>> approach to fixing a problem of unknown origin, as it often causes
>> more problems than it solves.

The FreeBSD approach is always to update the system in sync; any other
approach often causes more problems than it solves.

> 	You don't need to update the entire operating system if you
> can procure and install the patch.

This isn't a patch, it's an update to -CURRENT.  The FreeBSD project
almost never uses "patches".  You shouldn't install updates which
haven't been tested with your system.  How do you know they will even
compile?  If you want to use this fix, you must install -CURRENT.  In
this case, that's probably not appropriate, which is why I suggested
contacting sos.

>>> Your best bet, I believe, is going to be to talk with sos and see
>>> about getting the patch either MFC'd to the STABLE branch, or to
>>> get a copy of the patch yourself and apply it.
>>
>> Who is sos?

Søren Schmidt, the author of the IDE driver.

> 	I don't know personally, but from what Greg has mentioned in
> make the FreeBSD work properly with the IDE Controller chipset on
> your motherboard.

Well, as the commit log stated, the update works around a design bug
in the IDE controller.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.