Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:59:12 +0000
From:      David Dooley <dpd@ngfl.gov.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dpd@raffles-it.com
Subject:   VMWare and Bridged networking.

--==_Exmh_-1604975288P

Hi,

I am trying to get an instance of VMWARE 2 to load on a FreeBSD
4.4-STABLE as of Mon Nov 12 16:03:19 GMT 2001.

On boot I get a vmnet 1 interface configured for me and the details
are

 vmnet1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
mtu 1500
        ether 00:bd:b5:0e:00:01

I am not too sure what the IP address is or where it was gleaned from
because the network I am in fact on is  193.63.51.64/26. The IP
address may be a red herring as it would appear that the vmnet and
the host interface are both running in promiscuous mode -

 lnc0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
        inet 193.63.51.95 netmask 0xffffffc0 broadcast 193.63.51.127
        ether 00:06:29:50:2f:a6

If any one can shed some light on these thoughts and enlighten me I
would be most appreciative.

The above not withstanding when I try an power on a configured vmware
instance it moans that it cannot access /dev/vmnet0. This would be
true as there is no vmnet0 interface any where on the system that I
can find, but I can find a /compat/linux/dev/vmnet1. Now I am not too
sure if it is relevant but I did have a copy of the linux 7 emulation
installed, that I remove when I reverted back to linux_base 6.1. I
did try and get vmware working under Linux 7, but no joy so I decided
to revert to linux 6.1. I remove VMware 2 and reinstalled but this
has had no effect.

The reason why I want to use bridgeing is so that the vm host appears
as just another host on my network rather that it being on a separate
network with the all the setting up of alternative routes etc.

Thanks for all and any help

David

David Dooley
Unix Administrator - NGFL Internet Services
BECTa
Millburn Hill Road
Science Park
Coventry
CV4 7JJ
Tel: +44 24 7684 7112   Fax: +44 24 7684 7120
Email: david_dooley@becta.org.uk dpd@ngfl.gov.uk

GPG Key FingerPrint=9C14 5FB6 9ECA 6918 72E3 3175 6BD9 B858 AE82 E3DC

--==_Exmh_-1604975288P

--==_Exmh_-1604975288P--