Date:      Sun, 28 May 2006 21:21:21 +0200
From:      hans@lambermont.dyndns.org (Hans Lambermont)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What is the maximum file size on a dvd+r ?

What is the maximum file size on a dvd+r ?

System : 5.4-RELEASE-p6
Command used : growisofs -Z /dev/cd0 -l -J -r burn/
In burn/ I have a backup file of size 4166629386 bytes and some smaller
files. In total 4577410 kB.

growisofs ends normally :
 99.88% done, estimate finish Fri May 26 23:22:48 2006
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 519
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used d724
2287734 extents written (4468 MB)
builtin_dd: 2287744*2KB out @ average 2.4x1385KBps
/dev/pass0: flushing cache
/dev/pass0: closing track
/dev/pass0: closing session
# echo $?
0

An 'ls -la' of the mounted dvd+r shows :
ls: backup.bz2: Value too large to be stored in data type

I can read the whole dvd without problems on a non-FreeBSD system. I
cannot find a limit in GROWISOFS(1m) or MKISOFS(8), but on
http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/FreeBSD/questions/2005-12/msg01736.html
I read about a 2 GB maximum filesize for a file on a dvd. Is this true ?
If so I think it should be mentioned in GROWISOFS(1m).

regards,
   Hans Lambermont