Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 1995 14:14:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, security@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: key exchange for rlogin/telnet services?

> You know the problem.  You're sitting down at USENIX or your friend Bob's
> in Minnesota or some other gawdforsaken place and you have no way of knowing
> whether or not that password you just typed to log in to freefall was just
> sniffed by the entire undergraduate class of the local university (or their
> bored ISP).  You can't set up a kerberos realm with everyone, so what you'd
> really just like to do is ensure that the endpoints are reasonably secure
> and encrypt everything going in between.  A friend recerntly suggested a
> method for which my knowledge of the spelling may be incomplete, but
> I'll try: "Diffie-Hellman key exchange."  Apparently you start out with
> a key pair on each end and then each raise eacy to the power of the other's
> public half and used the information derived to secure the link.
>
> Do any of you security weenies out there know what I'm talking about?
> Am I making any sense?  Should I be locked up by the NSA for even suggesting
> this?
>
> 					Jordan

This could be worthwhile, if possible...  I'm using Kerberos for this
purpose now, and it's a tad exasperating because the primary reason I
installed it was so I could get encrypted telnet (yes, it was a lotta
hacking, rip the DES code out of Kerberos, toss it in eBones, build, hack on
the usr/src/secure programs for the better part of a day, etc).

... Joe