Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:38:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Aaron Hill <hillaa@hotmail.com>, gferris@mail.unam.na, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A retraction & correction ('Was: Re: Pimping FreeBSD Information (was: 'Order')')

I agree with much of what you say, but I think it is fine to push certain
things at times.  With each post of any email going anywhere I have my
signature which includes the address of my BSD website.  It is subtle, but
prefered according to an etiquette piece about interacting on a mailing
list.

A mailing list like this one is meant to be a forum where people can find
help in anything to do with FreeBSD.  This often comes in asking and
answering questions, but if someone can suggest another resource which
would be helpful, I appreciate that as well.  A freely viewable website is
one thing, but I suppose a book you have to pay for is another.

To suggest a book and withhold any help would be a bad way to go, but to
offer links to various resources online, that is another.  I am not
direclty addressing the isue with Tim.  This also speaks to the spam on
the list the other day.

Yesterday there was another question about lockmailbox.  It is a sendmail
problem with FreeBSD and I had the same problem a while back.  If you look
at the achive you will see my response.  I offered the intial help that I
could and then dug a little and found the answer.  Since I had spent weeks
finding the answer for myself initially I did not mind taking 15 minutes
to get the answer for the list.  But as I answered the questions, I did
provide a link to my little BSD website.

http://www.greasydaemon.com/cgi/udmsearch/gd.cgi?q=lockmailbox&m=any&ps=10&o=0

There is a certain amout of teaching people to fish going on with these
kind of suggestions while leading them in the right information.  I am by
no way a FreeBSD guru like some, but I can help some people
sometimes.  And I do not make money with my website.  It is simply hosted
on my development FreeBSD server.  I hope there are soon more FreeBSD and
*BSD websites out there, but I also hope the quality of content on several
BSD websites do improve.

I am seeing the Linux rush is over and more eyes are turning to BSD.  I
hope we can welcome the newcomers to our community and make it easier by
providing not only great software, but assistance in using it.

Brennan Stehling - software developer and system administrator
  my projects:
       home.offwhite.net (free personal hosting)
       www.greasydaemon.com (bsd search)